Wednesday, September 8, 2010

More Dramarama...

More about Summer Reading. This was kind of a fun assignment, where we had to write a friendly letter to the main character of our book. (By the way, the picture is of my friends and I sailing near their Island in Canada)

Dear Sadye,

My name is Margaret and this summer, I read about your exciting trip to Wildewood Summer Institute in Dramarama by E. Lockhart. Being the drama fan that I am, I was very jealous that you got to go to the camp. I am a freshman at The John Carroll School , and I am hoping to try out for one of their musicals this year. While I was reading about your incredibly razzle-dazzle filled summer, I had a somewhat fantastic summer as well. Right after school let out, my Mom and I traveled to Prince Edward Island in Canada. After we came home, I pretty much just chilled at the pool and went to tons of birthday parties for a month or two, until we went back to Canada (the Thousand Islands this time) to visit friends. I also read tons of other books that were full of even more characters with drama-filled lives like yours.

Now, let’s look back to your summer. I think that meeting Demi was incredibly lucky. You two were the perfect pair for as long as your friendship lasted, except for one thing. In everything that happened at Wildewood, you needed to stop being so controlling! You were driving everyone crazy, and even though many of your ideas were great, you should have presented them in a way that didn’t make everyone else involved feel downright dumb. As the summer went on, you just got more and more controlling, and maybe that’s why some people drifted away from you. Demi was finally able to show his true self at Wildewood, so you should have let him be happy in that. Overall, I thought the book was fantastic, except for the fact that the ending did not live up to the standards that the rest of the book had set. It seemed very incomplete and left me wondering what exactly just happened.

I thought that the author of your book, E. Lockhart, wrote your character very realistically. You had flaws, just like everyone, and a lot of the things that you felt were really believable and easy to connect with, even if they sort of made me want to slap you sometimes. Many of the problems that you faced, like your troubles with friendships, were just like the ones that everybody faces, though they were a little more dramatic.  I guess that’s why they call it Drama Camp, huh? The writing style was also very good.


When you and Demi got caught on the roof, I thought that what you did was incredibly kind. Even though I don’t think you guys should have been sneaking around with alcohol, he had much more to lose than you, and I think you did the right thing. It must have been really difficult for you to learn that he was leaving Brenton, after having him there for such a short time, but I hope you could see that he was truly happy there with Lyle.


The social issues in your story were made very easy to relate to by the author. I think awareness about these issues is already very high. I mean, pretty much everyone has friendships and struggles with identity, right? However, this book did make me think more about who I am and who I want to be. It was also very meaningful to me for this summer, because my friendships were shifting and changing, and I had to choose the ones that I was going to work to keep. In regard to your friendships, I would suggest just thinking hard about which friendships you really wand to keep, and work hard to stay in touch with those people.


I’m sorry that everything didn’t turn out exactly the way that you wanted, but I also hope that you can see that a lot of it was for the best. Demi found himself, and you found a little of yourself too in that huge whirlwind of drama. You met new friends, lost new friends, and kept some that mattered. Best wishes, and may your life be more razzle-dazzle filled than ever before!


Sincerely Yours,
Margaret

No comments:

Post a Comment